Salmon: The Super Food
LONG CHAIN OMEGA-3 FATS
As well as being a superb and nourishing food rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, Regal Marlborough King Salmon is a natural source of healthy long chain omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are considered an essential fatty acid, necessary for human health, which the body cannot produce itself.
Omega-3 fatty acids can be broken down into three types:
1. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) – from marine sources
2. Docosahexanoic acid (DHA) - from marine sources
3. Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) – from plant sources
There is far more evidence supporting the health benefits of marine-based EPA and DHA over ALA, both of which salmon contain high levels of. Some of these health benefits include:
- Reduction in cardiovascular disease
- Lowered cholesterol levels
- Lowered blood pressure (particularly among those with elevated blood pressure)
- An improvement in rheumatoid arthritis
- Improved cognitive/mental function
*Adequate Intake (AI) = minimum recommended intake level for adults
**Suggested Dietary Target (SDT) = optimal levels of intake that could help reduce the risk of chronic disease
Because Regal salmon is such a wonderful source of highly nutritious marine-based omega-3 fats, just one 100g serving will provide enough omega-3 to cover three days of your needs for women and two days for men.